Work experience can be the deciding point between you and another candidate. Work experience shows that you have a good understanding of working life and that you have developed transferable skills. A side from this, work experience is a great chance to get your foot in the door at a company, as well as gaining valuable contacts within that company and industry.
Finding work experience can be difficult but, here are some useful tips:
- Use people you know – family members, friends etc.
- Use social media platforms to connect with and approach employers about the possibility of work experience
- Find employers who suit your interests in your local area. You can do this by searching the online yellow pages
For younger people who are still in education:
- How to Find Work Experience
- Arranging Your Own Work Experience Placement
- Volunteering and Work Experience
For people who are out of work and out of education: